St Michael's Church - Part 1
The Parish of Galleywood Common was formed by Order in Council dated 2Oth Oct. 1874 from portions of the Parishes of Great Baddow, West Hanningfield, St Johns Moulsham and of the Parish of Orsett. It covers a scattered area which extends roughly from the Pumping Station (now Fowler Court) on Galleywood Road, to the turning to Wickford on the Stock Road and from Seabrights Farm on the road to Baddow, to and beyond Whites Bridge on the Margaretting Road. The boundaries were clearly marked in different places by ten boundary stones which bore the inscription ‘G.C., St. M.C.C. 1874’, which being interpreted means Galleywood Common, St Michaels Consolidated Chapelry 1874.
The tower is 18 feet square and 57 feet high with octagonal pinnacles at each angle, boldly buttressed, and surmounted by an octagonal spire of Doulting Stone, 74 feet high. The total height of the Tower and Spire is thus 131 feet, and situated as it is, on a commanding height of 277 feet above sea level, it can be seen for many miles around. The Contractors were Putman & Fotheringham of London and the builder was Mr Patnam.
St Michael's Church - Part 2
St Michael's Church - Part 3
St Michael's Church - Part 4
• It was August 2014 that the organ pipes were removed from the North-East corner of the church.
• The builders (Lodge and Son) moved in during September and the Church was off limits except for weekends until Easter 2015.
• Two NEW rooms were created in the North Transcept (where the organ pipes were), an upper room and a lower room
• An existing room (at the West end of the church) was enlarged. This is now called ‘The Martin Room’ – honouring the work done by Derek Martin as project manager for St Michael's throughout the complex re-building project, liaising with architects (Kay Pilsbury Thomas (KPT) the builders (Lodge & Son) the organ builders (Michael Young) and regularly reporting back to the PCC on progress.
• The Organ Pipes have now been reassembled on a purpose built balcony at the west end of the church, above the Martin room and in front of the bell ringing chamber. (see * above)
• New flooring has been laid in each of the three rooms, ringing chamber and the back of church, with a vinyl floor in the (north) lower room. Most recently the aisles and new areas have been covered with the same red carpet as elsewhere.
New lighting has been fitted which is more effective and more efficient. (see # above)
• Minor alterations have been made to the Vestry – wardrobes and filing cabinets – to accommodate the choir and make the space more usable. Also there are new items in the kitchen, improving the storage availability and improving the mains water supply and the ability to have an instant hot water dispenser.